Bharatanatyam is a classical Indian dance form characterised by clear technique, intricate footwork, and the use of mudras (symbolic hand gestures). Read more about Bharatanatyam mudras. The dance form originated in the temples in South India, and has both devotional and storytelling elements. The dance form has evolved over time and is now performed by both male and female soloists and ensembles worldwide. Bharatanatyam is a living art form that continues to evolve, and a performance typically includes choreographed combinations of eye movements, expressions, hand gestures, steps and dance. It is known for its intense and beautiful storytelling. It has become increasingly popular among younger generations in recent years, and many parents are now considering enrolling their children in Bharatanatyam classes. But when is the right age to begin? This article explores the optimal age to enrol your child in Bharatanatyam classes.
Bharatnatyam Dance Classes – Why Start At An Early Age?
Starting your child in Bharatanatyam classes at an early age has its benefits. The younger your child is, the more time they have to master the art of Bharatanatyam. Since the form is quite complex, it takes years of dedicated practice for a dancer to master the various movements and techniques. By starting at an early age, your child will have more time to practice and hone their skills.
In addition, starting your child in Bharatanatyam classes from a young age can also help them develop a stronger sense of discipline and dedication. The regular practice required to master the art can help instil a sense of commitment and focus that will be beneficial for them in the long run.
Furthermore, learning Bharatanatyam at an early age can also help your child develop a greater appreciation for the art form. As they progress in their training, they will gain a deeper understanding of the history and culture behind the dance, which can help them gain a greater appreciation for the art. Read more about the benefits of joining Bharatanatyam dance classes.
How to Decide The Right Age For Your Child To Start Bharatanatyam Classes?
Deciding the right age to start your child in Bharatanatyam classes will depend on several factors.
- Physical and emotional readiness: First, it is important to assess the physical and emotional readiness of your child. While some children may be physically and emotionally capable of starting earlier, others may need more time to adequately prepare for the rigorous training and discipline required for the art form. You should also consider your child’s interests and willingness to learn the art form. Bharatanatyam can be physically demanding and require a lot of hard work – so it is important that your child is enthusiastic and willing to commit to the training.
- Appreciation for significance of Bharatanatyam: Another factor to consider is the ability of your child to understand and appreciate the cultural significance of Bharatanatyam. Bharatanatyam has a rich history and cultural tradition that must be respected in order to truly master the art form. It is important that your child is able to understand the significance of this cultural heritage before they begin classes.
- Find Bharatanatyam classes with expert faculty: It is also important to find a qualified teacher who can provide your child with the necessary guidance and instruction. A good teacher will be able to assess your child’s abilities and tailor the classes to their individual needs. They should also be able to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for your child to grow and develop their skills.
Tips for Parents on When to Enrol their Child in Bharatanatyam Classes
Here are some tips for parents on when to enrol their child in Bharatanatyam classes:
- Assess your child’s physical and emotional readiness.
- Take into account your child’s interests and enthusiasm for learning.
- Make sure your child is capable of understanding and appreciating the cultural significance of Bharatanatyam.
- Find a teacher with experience teaching children.
- Start slowly with just one or two classes per week.
- Encourage your child to practice regularly outside of class.
It is also important to ensure that your child is comfortable with the teacher and the environment of the class. Make sure to ask questions and observe a few classes before enrolling your child. Additionally, it is important to provide your child with the necessary resources to practice at home, such as a practice space and appropriate clothing.
Is Bharatanatyam good for kids?
Bharatanatyam is a wonderful art form that can have numerous benefits for children. The rigorous physical training can help improve flexibility and coordination, while the mental discipline of learning the movements can help build focus and concentration. It can also help instill important values such as dedication, commitment and respect for culture. However, it is important to remember that Bharatanatyam requires a lot of hard work, so you should make sure that your child is ready and willing before enrolling them in classes.
In addition to the physical and mental benefits, Bharatanatyam can also help children develop a greater appreciation for Indian culture and history. Through the traditional stories and music, children can gain a deeper understanding of the culture and its values. Furthermore, the art form can also help children develop a greater sense of self-confidence and self-expression, as they learn to express themselves through the movements and music.
Experience the grace and beauty of Bharatanatyam at SaPa center. Our highly trained and experienced instructors will guide you through the intricate movements and expressive gestures of this ancient Indian dance form. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned dancer, our classes are tailored to suit your level and help you reach your full potential. Join us at SaPa center and discover the joy of Bharatanatyam.
What is Bharatanatyam?
Bharatanatyam is a classical dance form that originated in India. It is known for its intricate footwork, expressive gestures, and fluid movements.
What is the right age to start learning Bharatanatyam?
There is no set age at which one should start learning Bharatanatyam. Children as young as 3 or 4 can begin to learn the basics of the dance form, but it can also be learned at any age.
How long does it take to become proficient in Bharatanatyam?
The length of time it takes to become proficient in Bharatanatyam varies depending on the individual and how frequently they practice. On an average it takes around 5-8 years to become proficient in the dance form.
What are the benefits of learning Bharatanatyam?
Some benefits of learning Bharatanatyam include improved physical coordination and strength, increased flexibility and endurance, and the ability to express oneself through dance. It also helps in developing focus, concentration, and discipline.